You are required to submit evidence of the following:
- Differentiate between the roles and responsibilities in accordance with health and safety legislation.
- Describe the process for investigation of an accident in own work area in accordance with health and safety legislation and the organisation’s requirements.
- Manage and support workers to engage with health and safety processes in accordance with health and safety legislation and the organisation’s requirements.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of health and safety management in own work area in accordance with health and safety legislation and the organisation’s requirements.
All work for this EduBit must be your own.
Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 is changing the way safety is governed in ALL workplaces, whether it is a factory, office, school, university, workshop, laboratory or retail in New Zealand.
The Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (or legislation) is significantly different to the previous Health and Safety in Employment Act, 1992. It is based on the Australian health and safety model, which has been shown to have had a 16% reduction in workplace fatalities since its implementation in 2012. The New Zealand health and safety legislation includes key changes in terminology and focus, particularly with regard to all personnel (employers and employers) and roles and responsibilities in ALL workplaces.
Note 1. All task requirements must be carried out in accordance with Health and Safety at Work Act, 2015.
Note 2. The Accident Report form requirements must include:
- Particulars of the Accident: date of accident; time and location of the accident.
- Injured Person: type of injury; part of the body injured; first aid administered at the accident site; doctor or hospital treatment required.
- Damaged Property: property or material damaged; nature of the damage; object/substance causing the damage.
- The Accident: describe what happened (what caused the accident); type of injury (very serious / serious / minor); medical treatment administered as a result of the accident; likelihood of the accident occurring again.
- Prevention: What action/s have been taken to prevent another accident like this happening? What further action/s will be taken to prevent another accident like this happening? What needs to be put in place to eliminate or minimise the occurrence of such an accident? This may include training, physical changes, environmental changes, behavioural expectations. What resource/s are required to prevent this accident from reoccurring? What training is required to ensure this accident does not re-occur?
Additional documents that must be provided to support the Accident Investigation Report are:
- A copy of the accident report notification for an accident that has occurred in your work area and you have had to investigate.
- A copy of the record of the accident in your organisation’s accident register (all names must be removed to maintain employee’s confidentiality).
- Update of your work area Hazard Register or equivalent to reflect changes from your investigation of the accident.
Note 3. Tasks 2 and 3 require the completion of the Attestation Form by your workers, including signing, dating and providing feedback (at least two (2) examples) to support their attestations. In total, you will need to upload 4 versions of the Attestation Form completed by four (4) workers.
You will need to download the Attestation Form from the Resources section and upload the completed document to the Attestation Form tab on the website. You will need to download the Attestation Form from the Resources section and upload the completed document to the Attestation Form tab on the website.
Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
WorkSafe New Zealand
WorkSafe New Zealand Special Guide